Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Theory-crafting; Mead, Growing Beer Grains, Re-using Yeasts, Growing Hops

There are facets of the home-brewing craft that can be done at home. Some of it requires way more work than it's worth, while other elements of the process are fun, easy and save the brewer money. I'd like to break down my opinion of examples for some of those facets:

Bee Keeping: if someone was so set up some hives near a large amount of a specific flower/blossom, they'd be able to create a very specific product that isn't seen on the market (at least, it isn't advertised). My idea for this would be to surround the hive with raspberry bushes so you produce primarily raspberry blossom honey. Then, use those exact raspberries in secondary fermentation to create raspberry mead. I might also put a dead bee in each bottle and tell people it's good luck to east it.

Growing Grain: this would be difficult to pull off if you didn't own some sort of field specifically for growing grains. I have considered some lawn-displacement in order to grow a field of cereal grain, but I get the feeling I would not be able to produce near enough for any amount of beer, let alone, produce it in a timely manner. However, one step up from buying a 50 lbs sack of one specific fermentable, you'd be saving money in the most expensive part of the ingredients.

Yeast Rinsing/Yeast Washing: this is one of the easiest ways to save money when home brewing, especially if you enjoy a specific type of beer. It costs upwards of $5 per yeast vial, or $1 for the dry varieties. I've always used liquid yeast, so this was a no-brainer for me to pick up. I followed instructions from a home-brew talks forum here and was able to get it down after two batches. I know how a small library of yeasts that, as long as I use within a couple months, will last me until I need a different strain. Update: I made a new post detailing my method here.

Growing Hops: similar to growing your own grains, but easier, I imagine. I ordered some hops rhizomes from Midwest Brewing's online store. I don't know much about hops, and I am definitely not considered to have a green thumb, but vines of many types grow well in my climate so I felt it is worth it. Hops, I've heard, require more sunlight than normal, so I am slightly worried because we have been having some sunlight issues in my backyard since the trees have reached a certain height.

These are the four facets with beer and wine making that I have access to. Some smaller items would be, buying a grain mill in order to mill my own grain (and cornmeal, flour, oatmeal), getting a stand-alone kegerator to carbonate and serve your beer from as well as design tap handles, or even creating a label for your business (even if it is not a money-making venture, creating an image for your product helps identify its uniqueness).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ice Cream and Gelato

  Custard bases, flavoring methods, choosing an ice-cream maker Expanding my repertoire of awesome cooking endeavors, I’ve recently started ...