Monday, November 5, 2012

Wit White, Pale Ale, Red Ale, Sour


Updates are few and far between for me because of my schedule. I’d like to apologize for not updating in what seems like forever. I have a few projects in the works and I’d like to touch on them and upload some pictures just to keep us sane. In fact, I think these projects are what keep me sane during this busy time of my life.

A Short Look Back
When last I checked in, I was fermenting the Maple Pecan Nut Brown ale. The beer came out as one of my best to date, but there were pros and cons to this: I only got to bottle less than 4.5 gallons, but those 4.25 gallons were thick and strong.  A common issue I experienced doing my all grain 5 gallon batches was failing to hit target fermentation volume. This was due to my inability to measure the amount of wort gathered during sparge. So, in a nutshell, I only gathered 5.5 gallons to boil, then boiled off almost a gallon, then lost about a half-gallon to fermentation goop. This left me with my rough estimate of 4.25 gallons of the beer that was thicker and stronger than it was supposed to be. Not all that bad since I didn’t have any specifics to adhere to. Hitting that exact same recipe won’t be difficult, because I kept good notes the whole time. I would aim to make the beer more ‘sessionable’ next time.

Since then, I have made 4 beers: 10 gallons of Belgian Wit, 10 gallons of American Pale (single hopped!), 5 gallons of Irish Red and 5 gallons of a Belgian Sour (Abbey style). I have also updated my current hardware in some places and started a kegerator project.

The Wit
This was a very light, summer beer. We used coriander and bitter orange peel to match the style. I wasn’t particularly fond of the lightness of this beer and I have complaints of the level to which it was carbonated. However, the beer was favored among my friends who enjoy a lighter beer. At times I would even call it watery and flat but I imagine my intoxication at the time of tasting caused me to be bitter about it. A thick heffeweisen is closer to my preferred style for wheat beers.


Jonny uses the dremmel to cut a notch
in our bayou burner so that a
BBQ grill can fit snug.

Kyle stands by.


The Pale
As an experiment, my buddies and I wanted a basic grain bill and single hop variety while also trying out a new dry hopping method. Instead of racking to secondary at the full end of fermentation, we simply added the hops about 3 days into primary fermentation. This method was revealed to us from the internets somewhere, and we felt it was a great idea especially for (1) saving time on the ferm and (2) creating less work by not racking to secondary. We were not disappointed and in fact my buddies used this method in a recent IPA clone of one of our previous batches. I still have about 4 gallons of the pale in keg and I am picking up my CO2 tank this weekend: I’ll finally be able to hook it up and tap it properly and probably bottle a bunch of it for saving (but note, pales/highly aroma hopped beers aren’t meant to age because the characteristics of the aromas apparently fade with age). 


The Red
Of beers I have crafted, Reds and Porters are the most abundant. Of both I had first made extract batches and of both I feel I have started to hone my all-grain styles. I have experimented with hops a great deal in my reds and I may have found my balance (well, not in this red, but because of this red, I have discovered the balance). I’ve used this recipe a number of times but with an increase in efficiency in both method and madness, the red this time came out full bodied and full of both malt and hop flavor. I personally find the bittering level slightly high, it’s a crisp and lingering bitterness that is best tasted at warmer temperatures (60°F – 70°F serving temperature) in order to allow the smooth and thick dark malt body to slide in side-by-side with the Fuggles bittering. Not only was the chosen hops Alpha Acid percentage count higher than the suggested bittering hops for the recipe, but I also used more of the hops. One of the reasons for the change was because I have had these hops in the fridge for a while and I wanted to use them before they went bad. Some other things to note were that the beer came out much more red (read: darker) than previous batches of the same beer and this could be due to a number of reasons: my most likely culprit is that I over-weighed the specialty grains when I bought them.  The recipe called for 1 lbs. of Crystal 120L malt and a quarter pound each of Black Roasted Barley and Special B. This combination, in conjunction with the large amounts of fermentable malts, usually makes for a rich red color. My guess was I used closer to ½ pound of Black Roasted Barley or Special B by accident.
The Red, after adding oxygen


The Sour
I’ve been trying a lot of sour beers lately, as many as I can get my hands on. The first sour I ever knowingly tried was from a brewery in Dexter, Michigan called Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales. I am not sure which of their beers it was that I tried, but it was a sour with a raspberry on the label. Then, I picked out a Flemmish sour red from a brand called Strubbe’s which doesn’t have any advertised fruit characteristic but really hits home on the sour front. It might even have some dark cherry undertones. I really suggest that beer. The next I tried was Rodenback Grand Cru sour red ale. This one wasn’t as punchy as the Strubbe’s, but was more session-able. It came in a large wine bottle, corked, so it felt a little classier, or something. After trying a few different sours, mostly imports (Jolly Pumpkin was the only American sour I’ve tried), I decided to try and make one. A buddy found the recipe, and he, too, brewed this sour. Our plan is to blend our two sours together after 6 months of secondary fermentation. The way a sour works is, you brew a beer (usually  a Belgian style or ‘Abbey Ale’) then after primary fermentation, you add a culture of lactobacillus and let it ferment in a cold, dark area for a long time (recipe said 6 mothts).

11 lbs. Pilsner Malt
1 lbs. Wheat
1 lbs. Munich Malt
1 lbs. Aromatic Malt
1 lbs. CaraMunic Malt
4 oz Special B Malt
4 oz. Chocolate malt

90 minute boil – 1 oz Challenger Hops
@ 30 minutes – 1 lb Organic Cane Sugar
@ 2 minutes – 1 oz Fuggles Hops

OG: 1.085. The recipe suggests adding oak or dark cherries during this ageing/secondary fermentation. I have not done either of those, but I would like to age on both. As I mentioned before, my buddy and I will be blending about a gallon each of our two sours which will then be tasted and most likely put away for further ageing. I plan to age a large portion of mine for a year at least.
The Sour, Abbey Ale Yeast kicking ass

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ice Cream and Gelato

  Custard bases, flavoring methods, choosing an ice-cream maker Expanding my repertoire of awesome cooking endeavors, I’ve recently started ...