Sunday, May 17, 2015

Coffee Chocolate Porter, Homemade Coffee, Mead


Starting a new job can be stressful but can also be fun. I can assure you that I have been having fun these past two years even though I haven't brewed beer nearly as often as I have in the past. The pictures in my past posts have all been at my parent's villa where I have a storage shed filled with my brewing equipment. My parents let me keep my stuff there, and in exchange I keep it organized, brew occasionally, and leave the beers hooked up to the kegerator for my dad to drink after a round of golf or some sweaty yardwork. My dad is my biggest fan, I don't think he has ever disliked any beer I made (and he has tried every one).
I can at least do an info-dump of a few projects that I worked on since November of 2012 (my last post) which includes beer, coffee and cooking.

Coffee and Coffee Porter Projects

Raw Rwanda Dukunde Kawa Musasa coffee beans

Roasting session

Roasted and fanned

Fresh brewed. Cooled after a short steep.

The coffee project was fun. I was able to make some beans and bring them into work for people to try, I also made a batch for a friend's birthday. But the pictures above (excluding the action shot of a roast) were intended for a Coffee Porter I made from the Jamil's Chocolate Porter recipe I have done before. Here are some of the working shots from that day

Cleaning the keg

The freshly brewed and cooled coffee was added to the sanitized keg.
The porter was racked directly on top

I get a kick out of sanitary foam displacement!


MaxfieldMead Bottling Wax

Mead was the first alcohol I learned to brew; it's easy and it used to be cheap. Honey prices have doubled at least since I started my first Mead project in an empty Smirnoff bottle with a hand-squeezed pomegranate and local Arcata blueberry honey. That was in 2005 when I was a dishwasher hoping to get good tips from the waiting staff so I could make more Mead.
In 2015 I have at least 10 bottles of aged meads I have crafted over the years and managed to store safely, in hopes they mellow out in flavor and clear up naturally. It works pretty well as I can always bring out for a special occasion or give one away as a gift.




Red on the left is real bottle wax from More Beer.
The others are crayon-glue mixtures

Old meets new. I've given a lot of these away

The wax is made from Crayola brand crayons and hot gue sticks from the 99cent store
Crayola were the best, they seem to have the most wax like consistency

A sticker and a clear label for a simple brand


Brewing and Building

(Coming Soon)
Here are some randos of exploits in the past year.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Ice Cream and Gelato

  Custard bases, flavoring methods, choosing an ice-cream maker Expanding my repertoire of awesome cooking endeavors, I’ve recently started ...